BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BFG/BAOR/RAFG Locations

www.baor-locations.org

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» 29 field ambulance
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime14/5/2024, 02:34 by Pborn4

» Quebec Barracks in Osnabrück
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime10/5/2024, 18:53 by AlienFTM

» Trying to identify a likely lad!
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime9/5/2024, 10:16 by SarahN

» Sennelager 1977
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime7/5/2024, 23:15 by Spike68

» New website britisharmyingermany.com
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime4/5/2024, 20:24 by steve

» Sheil Barracks, Verden
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime28/4/2024, 10:29 by steve

» 5 coy and 121 coy RASC Caernarvon Barracks Dusseldorf
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime11/4/2024, 13:02 by deandarvill

» Born in BMH Hannover, lived in Hameln
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 18:14 by Cherylburgess

» German Soldiers.
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime8/4/2024, 10:27 by Gozoman

» Records
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:23 by Pborn4

» Family Research Krefeld 1955-58
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime7/4/2024, 23:12 by Coinneach239

» Old Soldiers over 80
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime3/4/2024, 14:41 by Chemist

» King Alfred School.Plon.
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:13 by Pborn4

» King Alfred School (Boarding) Plön
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime2/4/2024, 16:06 by Pborn4

» The Black Watch
Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime17/3/2024, 00:39 by Pborn4

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there are 29 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 223 on 22/1/2021, 18:16
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria

Go down 
+3
KevinT
Wilf
Paul
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul
Maj Gen
Maj Gen

Number of posts : 817
Cap Badge : R.E.M.E.
Places Served : Arborfield (Basic training), S.E.M.E. Bordon (Trade training), Barnard Castle, Hemer, Belfast (Emergency Tour), Londonderry, Munster, Brunei, Hong Kong
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Empty
PostSubject: Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime11/10/2008, 12:29

Does any one know if there were ever exercises or R&R in Leutasch, Austria?

This place is about 12km south west of the German/Austrian Border at Mittenwald, Bavaria, and about 32km north west of Innsbruck.

Did the "Snow Queen" exercises use this area?

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Wilf
Lt Col
Lt Col
Wilf

Number of posts : 314
Cap Badge : RAOC
Places Served : Bicester-Soltau-Canada-Kineton-Paderborn-Osnabruck (Inc Gulf 1) Donnington-Civy Strasse.
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime23/10/2008, 07:19

I did two Snow Queen exercises (1981 and 1982) the first time we stayed in Bolsterlang spelling the next year we were in Sonthofen. Both towns are in the Allgau area of Bavaria and provided superb skiing.
Back to top Go down
KevinT
Private
Private

Number of posts : 2
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Arborfield, Minden, Munster, Hohne, BATUS, NIEW
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Invading Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime5/11/2008, 13:32

I was part of a group of Snow Queen novices based in Wertach (Allgauer region) who skiied into Austria for a coffee. It was widely known that british squaddies used the area for recreational skiing, but the border was never manned or closed. Germans and Austrians crossed over quite freely, and most squaddies had only Mil ID cards.

Unfortunately the local military took a dim view of this and fined us 150 schillings for invading their country and booted us back over the border. After that the locals were constantly complaining about being turned back from the crossing point as there was some happless Austrian grenzpolizei checking passports.

KevinT
Back to top Go down
http://www.camelotcastleflorida.com
Big_Mike
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
Big_Mike

Number of posts : 43
Cap Badge : Royal Fusiliers, rejoined RE
Places Served : BAOR, UK, HK, Cyprus, NI
Registration date : 2008-06-27

PostSubject: Snow training in early 60's   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime25/2/2009, 12:04

I can remember back in the 60's for two years going to Füssen in Bavaria for ski training as it was decided that infantry soldiers need 3 weeks of snow training. Cool
We were to stay with the famous Gebirgsjäger battalion of the German Army (Bundeswehr). It was also decided to do a 2 day exercise/games and general p***up with the Austrian Army. Wink
But before leaving Osnabrück we had to paint our Safari-Landrovers blue. The paint was purchased locally, so not all of the Landrovers looked the same. If I remember rightly we were 5 or 6 packets of 4 vehicles. We had no weapons and only civi clothes, apart from our denims and beret with no cap badges. A great time.

Mike in Germany
Back to top Go down
http://www.set-bit.de/start
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

Number of posts : 62
Cap Badge : Mercian Brigade, 1st Bn Worc Rgt
Places Served : Uk, Honduras,Tripoli, BAOR, UK, Tobruk, Gibraltar, short stints in Canada, USA, Barbados & Dominica
Registration date : 2007-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime25/2/2009, 12:19

In the early 60's we did some 2 week ski courses in Bavaria. After nearly 50 years I don't recall the exact names in the area other than it was close to Oberamergau(?) as we went to the various slopes we frequently passed through Unter-Oberamergau and Ober -Oberamergau. Although we wore the old OG combat gear or mixed dress we didn't wear any insignia, rank indicators or berets. We stayed at a civilian Post und Jager hostel. There was an American camp a few miles away each course was taken on a visit to the PX to stock up on essentials. I spent 3 months there as an instructor but as the courses were intensive and 7 day a week I didn't get to sample much in the way of nightlife
Back to top Go down
wrinkles
SSgt/CSgt
SSgt/CSgt
wrinkles

Number of posts : 62
Cap Badge : Mercian Brigade, 1st Bn Worc Rgt
Places Served : Uk, Honduras,Tripoli, BAOR, UK, Tobruk, Gibraltar, short stints in Canada, USA, Barbados & Dominica
Registration date : 2007-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime2/3/2009, 15:45

I've had a look at google earth since I posted above and I now have had my memory jogged and remember we were a few K outside of Garmisch-Partenkirchen which was where the Septic camp was. I also now recall that Garmisch was north of us as we drove through it to get to Oberamergau. That would put us in the general area at the time but as for whether it was Leutasch, sorry I can't say.
Back to top Go down
Pborn4
Brig
Brig
Pborn4

Number of posts : 660
Cap Badge : Not even a reservist now - have been Pborn3
Places Served : Oswestry 1965, Paderborn to 1971, NE Dist, Munsterlager from 1974, Sennelager (1976 to 2012)
Registration date : 2016-12-16

PostSubject: Ski Trg and Competition   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime18/10/2023, 16:06

Army Skiing/Army Ski Training - how it all started:  a good read!

https://www.awsa.org.uk/awsa-70th/

Ex Rucksack and/or Snow Queen
Back to top Go down
alan8376
Brig
Brig

Number of posts : 738
Cap Badge : REME
Places Served : Carlisle AAS, Aden, Hildesheim, Bordon, Fallingbostel, Dover, NI Tours, Osnabruck, Herford, Muenster, UN Nicosia, SBA Dhekellia Cyprus x2, Waterbeach, Civi Street 1988. Retired from VOSA 2007.
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime18/10/2023, 20:25

I went skiing on Snow Queen as Reme with Royal Artillery mid sixties. We lived in a cold barn.

I never had enough money as a young soldier for more than a bread roll at 10:00  and one beer in the local at night

The high rocks on the rh side of the photos were always cold and dank. No skiing  over that side.
There was a small ski lift.  I have forgotten the village name. The road/track through the village lead to Austria I think.
I think there was a small lake over the hill we skied on.

It was late in the day before we warmed up. The Sun only rose over our ski hill about dinner time.

Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria 0RmlBlL

Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria LSnLWe7
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria   Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ski training exercises/R&R in Austria
Page 1 of 1